Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tue, Feb 10

Before I arrived I printed the 2nd TAKS Reading test for him to take today. Once I arrived, the session began with him notifying me that I wasn't giving him the right lessons for the test. He informed me that he saw the test and it was not the same as the TAKS test and not nearly as long. I informed him that I got the tests from the state website, and he let me know that the ones from the website were the wrong ones, and that it must be from the 5th grade test.  
We started working on his Monday homework where we left off, the Valentine's Day box. After 30 mintues we moved on to taking the 2006 April TAKS test for 3rd Grade. He once again let me know it was the wrong test, and that it was too long. I informed him that he will be taking this sample test, but he kept insisting that it was the wrong one. So, I took the test away from him, and told him to stop arguing with me about it. I let him know I will be informing his mother of his actions.
Next, we started on his homework. He finished a page and said he was done. I looked, and he had more pages to do. I made him to those pages, but each time he had more that he did not finish. On the final two pages he did complete them without me having to ask. 
I had him study his spelling words, writing them 3 times each. I asked him to say the words after each, and he informed me that he said them in his head. When I asked him how to pronounce tough, he mispronounced it "toe". This was the 2nd time I had to tell him how to pronounce tough.
We then proceeded to read, and he wanted to know how long he would be reading today. I told him that he should read for as long as he can. He asked if that meant that he could skip reading. I said not, that he should read for as long as he could. His reading lasted six minutes, but he asked me if he had been reading for twenty minutes. I let him know it was only six minutes, and he was satisfied with six minutes of reading.
As yesterday, friends came over to his distraction. What little interest he had in learning went away. We then worked for about 10 minutes on the Valentine box.
Teaching this day lasted a little over two and half hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment