Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sat, Feb 7

I get there, and Josh immediately begins to turn things to his advantage. I tell him that I'm not ready. He takes the opportunity to eat and comes back before I'm ready for him. 
I find the sample tests that I was asked to give him. I print one from last years along with the asnwer key. Now I'm ready.

I give him the first part of the test, knowing that if he see the entire test at once, he'll complain endlessly. He also wants to know how long I'm going to be there and I don't say how long. I can tell he awaits the moment that I have to leave so that he can get back to his own activities.

I keep instructing him to read the material. Once he is done reading, I give him the test questions for the portions he just read. Eight questions and he got only one wrong. 

I am thinking to myself that he has no problem with comprehension. What I'm I doing there?

While I'm grading his work I give him the 2nd reading material. He starts complaining that his teacher does not want him to do this. He tells me that his mother wants him to do something else. He tried to explain all the different things he should be doing. 

I inform him that he as to read the material and that I was given instructions to do this. He said it was boring. He found little ways to distract himself and keep himself from doing anything but read. I finnally got him to read a portion of the 2nd material, but he quickly moved to sharpening his pencil and rolling around in his chair. 

It was an hour and a half by that time and I was fed up with his attempts at manipulating me. I don't him I was not going to be made a fool of and that he was going to cost his mother another $500. I made to leave, but he pleaded that he wanted to do the work. I've heard that tune before. So, I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment